Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Spirit God Gave Us (2 Timothy 1:7)


 
If you are a Christian, if you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, then God has given you his Spirit. I am no Holy Spirit expert, and frankly it's a pretty confusing and complicated concept. But what I do know is that the Spirit is in our lives, daily nudging us, speaking to us, opening our eyes to things we may not have seen on our own, and generally helping us to live the way God wants us to. This is "the Spirit God gave us."

I don't know about you, but I often feel timid in my parenting role. I second guess myself, I wonder if I'm doing it "right," I ask for others' opinions hoping they'll just tell me what I should do, I doubt my decisions if they're different from others, etc. All these things are the exact opposite of what God intended when He have us His Spirit. Even in the role of motherhood, God does not intend for us to be unsure, weak, or wishy-washy. This Spirit He gave us is to be used in ALL areas of our lives, motherhood included!

He wants us to use His Spirit for power, love, and self-discipline.  

Power, not in the sense of dominating power over our children, Lord help us, but power over timidity and doubt. Power over the schemes of the devil, trying to throw us off course. Power over the negative influence and opinions of others. Power to be confident and sure that you are a good mother.

Use His Spirit to love. Love your children well, love your spouse well, love your neighbors well. Regardless of the bumps in the road that day, the emotions you think you can't help, the situations that may make it difficult to love. His Spirit can and will help us love well anyways.

Use His Spirit for self-discipline. There are areas in our lives where each of us needs to grow, mature, and allow God in to change us. None of us are perfect wives, mothers, family members or friends. And we cannot change ourselves for the better simply with more will-power. But with the help of the Spirit, we can all improve on our weaknesses.

It's very easy to be timid and doubt yourself as a mom. There are so many opinions and critics out there. But just remember those feelings of insecurity are not from God. That doubt is not what God intend you to feel. Focus on listening to His Spirit in your heart as you walk through your day, and allow the doubt to fade as you gain power, love and self-discipline!

No comments:

Post a Comment