Monday, November 14, 2011

Wait, What? You Said What? Who? Why? Say WHAT???

Ok, ok hold on. Don't get carried away. It was a simple 'no,' that's all. A simple 'no.' Right. Right?

Have you ever second guessed a big decision you made? Have you ever had to say a simple 'yes' or 'no' within a matter of days? And you didn't have complete confidence when you said that simple little word? Yes? Please say yes!

Here's the deal: I got a call on Thursday the 3rd from a man working in the same Keller Williams office as I do. He was looking for a buyer's agent to join his team. In essence, he gets hundreds of online leads a week, & he needs someone to take over all the buyers, as he would take the seller's side. A buyer's agent would follow up on leads, set appointments with potential buyers, meet clients, show houses, write contracts, & close. So, after a meeting on Monday, he offers me the position & he tells me he needs an answer by Thursday. Wow. Me?? But... Uh... Ok. Well, I had 3 days. Three days to decide! Now to throw in the curve ball...

Real Estate is my Little Dream. I plan to stick with it for life, however big or small my company becomes. But, here's a secret: Michael & I want a family. Soon. And here's my Big Dream: there's nothing I would rather do while my kids are young than to be a Professional Wife & Mommy. Does my Little Dream, right now, fit in with my Big Dream? I prayed. Oh I prayed, "please, God, come to me in a dream and tell me what to do!" Maybe God doesn't work that fast, maybe I don't listen well, but either way, I didn't get my vision. But then I stumbled upon this...

"Urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." ~Titus 2:4-5

Can we ignore the "subject to your husbands" part for now? That's another discussion. =) But, within this verse and in my deep desires, I see what I should do. I know this position would cause a lot of stress in my life, from working nights & weekends to having a boss look over my shoulder, to just feeling the pressure of needing to set appointments, find the perfect house, & close on time. And if there's one thing I know about myself, I know I am not loving, self-controlled, pure & kind when I'm under a lot of stress. Just ask my husband. He won't tell you the truth, he's too sweet. Trust me here. 

So why would I take this job? For... success?? For... money?? For...recognition?? For the price of my Big Dream?? In the end, I said a simple 'no....'  ...No... No! This is not for me, even if it seems completely foolish to pass up this opportunity. I will agree, my life does not scream success! This woman is not a self-started real estate entrepreneur (I can barely even spell that word). Not in the Top 100 Best New Agents of the Year. Not up for an award of most closings in the month of October. Not a Millionaire Real Estate Agent. 

But you know what? My worth is not found in the world's definition of "success." My worth is found in a big God who loves me & wants good things for my life. I am worthy because He has taken over my life & made me pure, loving, self-controlled & kind. Not because I'm a "successful" real estate agent. So, I choose to pursue my God and His plans for my life instead. A simple 'yes.'

"A wife of noble character, who can find? She is worth far more than rubies..."

"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life."

"She sets about her work vigorously; 
her arms are strong for her tasks."

"She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy."

"She is clothed with strength and dignity; 
she can laugh at the days to come."

"She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness."

"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

       ~Excerpts from Proverbs 31

No comments:

Post a Comment