Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Birthday... Cupcakes... But not Birthday Cupcakes...

Finally getting to the last weekend of our busy October... Which, in my opinion, was pretty dang exciting.

First of all, I celebrated 27 years of being alive! Sometimes I forget how old I really am, but this year I've been really conscious of it. I think because Michael turned 29 & I realize I'm not a child anymore (yes it's taken me approximately 15 years to figure that out). But, I cannot complain about anything in my 27 years. God has changed me, blessed me, grown me, & given me more than I could ever ask for on my own. I'm more content with life now than I've been, well, since I was a child.

What to do to celebrate such blessings? Why, sushi of course! My poor husband doesn't enjoy sushi like I do (at all, really), but he was sacrificial to take me to a sushi bar. As you can tell from the following pictures, 1) I was hungry, and 2) I freaking love sushi. What a perfect birthday dinner!

BEFORE:

California Roll, Philadelphia Roll (salmon & cream cheese), Tuna something roll (tuna, avocado & mayo), & Avocado roll.

 AFTER: 

I'm stuffed.




Yes, I ate the whole, entire plate. By myself. Happy birthday to me! Michael got me some really thoughtful birthday gifts, including the movie The Lion King. I am a Disney nut. I can quote Aladdin in its entirety, & I still have to leave the room when Ariel says good-bye to her daddy at the end of The Little Mermaid. So, I was happy to start my Blue Ray collection of Disney movies. Sorry Mom & Dad, but no, I don't want to inherit your VHS tapes.

Grizzly really enjoyed the movie too!

Overall I had a fabulous birthday, & owe a lot of that to my wonderfully loving & thoughtful husband!



Usually, I try to extend what I like to call "birthday benefits" to at least a week, trying to milk the pampering for as long as possible. This year, though, my cousin Diena was getting married the next day, & I asked to do her wedding cake & cupcakes for the reception two days later. I'm glad she gave me the opportunity to be a part of her wedding, & overall I think everything turned out alright! Let me know what you think...

The final cupcake tower...

Various chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate ganache tinted pink!

Vanilla cake with raspberry filling & marshmallow fondant

I definitely couldn't have done this on my own. First of all, I'd like to thank my kitchen for taking a beating:

But seriously, I really want to give a shoutout to The Cupcake Tower ladies! They make really good quality cupcake towers that made my cupcakes look good! You can order any size & color ribbon you want. Check them out here!

Second, I had a special request for gluten-free cupcakes, & was tired of using boxed mixes that were pretty boring. I met Ashley in college, & knew that she had a specialty bake shop (Sugar Mama Bakeshop- doesn't that just sound delish!), so I asked for her help. She sent me these fabulous gluten-free (vegan) cake mixes that I used. Let me just say, I thought they were delish & I'm not usually a gluten-free lover! Do me a favor, check out her blog!

Go Greeno

Congrats Diena & Devin Rogers! Nothing but great wishes to you!

Oh, and Happy Birthday to me!!!! (Forget what I said about not milking it this year...)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sara!! The cupcakes are gorgeous, I'm totally checking out the cake tower website and HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

    ReplyDelete