Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Texas for a Weekend

I've got some catching up to do! I'm on to the third weekend in October... Here's a glimpse:

We flew to Texas for the weekend of Oct 14th-17th for Michael's 10 YEAR REUNION! Wow. To some, it may not seem that long, but for someone who can't imagine being in the "real world," it sure is a strange feeling. My husband has been graduated for 10 years. And I'm not far behind... It's just weird. Time escapes like a cloud of smoke. You think you can hold it in, but then it just disappears...

So I've got to set the stage for this. I went to high school in Ft. Collins, CO. I graduated with 600+ people in my class. I couldn't imagine driving 45 minutes to get to the mall. Michael, on the other hand, went to high school in Pilot Point, TX. His graduating class was 60-something. He drove 45 minutes to get to a movie theater. We grew up in different worlds. Small town Texas is everything you think of when you see "Friday Night Lights." Everybody knows each other, everyone goes to the Friday night football game, and let me tell you, it's serious business.

On Friday, there was a parade & pep rally in the afternoon:
Then the football game that night:

As I'm intently watching the game (mind you), I happened to be slightly distracted by this interesting phenomenon. There are these massive ribbony things that all the kids wear around. You know those cheesy ribbons you used to get for field day participation or something? Think of that. On steroids. I tried to get a picture:
The kids lug these ribbons around with them. I guess it's like wearing a letter jacket, or something similar. Guys usually buy them for the girls to take them to homecoming. I'm sure I'm messing the tradition up. But I was fascinated! =)

Anyways, back to important Reunion News. We were supposed to have a big fancy dinner at a big fancy place (it's his reunion, not mine...as shown by my being oblivious to details) . But I guess not enough people signed up... So, instead, we went to... a bar. Bully's, or something... Yay. Not to interfere with the awesome-ness of what is a 10 Year Reunion, but my idea of a good reunion doesn't exactly include a too-loud band, smoking (yes, inside), drinking & taking lots of photos. It was fine, & I know Michael was glad to catch up a little with his old friends, & I got free Diet Coke. Who's to complain?

We didn't have a huge amount of time, but in the time we did have, we got a fried chicken meal (a staple), went shopping for new jeans for Michael, a lovely steak dinner, & just time to spend with the Hollar family. We also went to The Village Church on Sunday morning. If you're ever in North Texas, go here.  Every time I get to go there, I am in awe of the great things God is doing. The church bought an old Albertsons & is reaching massive amounts of people with the Bible. The teaching pastor, Matt Chandler, was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2010, at the age of 35. If you have time, read this.  This place is rocking for Jesus, and I love it!

A few final photos from our visit:

Michael & I with my beautiful mother-in-law Sandra!

Fried chicken, fried okra, green beans, biscuit & gravy. Done.

Getting ready to head back to Colorado!

Overall we had a fantastic time & look forward to going back for Christmas this year!

Next Week: Birthday & Wedding Cupcakes...

3 comments:

  1. Okay I was laughing at loud at your description of "lugging around ribbons"! You've never heard of mums and garters for Homecoming? We did that every year! Seriously, is that just a Texas thing? It was funny to hear someone talk about it who's never seen it before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a amazing man of god. thanks for sharing the article

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mums! Glad to know they have a name! I like it... And no we never did anything remotely similar to that. Never even heard of it before. Haha. Pretty sure it's just a Texas thing. ;-)

    And Karen, yes his story is amazing. He's back preaching @ The Village, he actually went back very soon after his brain surgery. Download one of his sermons on their podcast, Lauren will tell you it's worth it! =)

    ReplyDelete