Monday, September 5, 2011

My Little Green Thumb

How fast a month goes by in the blogging world! My goal in September is to write once a week! We'll see how that goes... =)

I have been busy with some projects around the house... The most recent has been trying to get our front planter area in decent shape to house some daffodil and tulip bulbs. This project has been a lot of work, and I just hope all the effort pays off next Spring with some beautiful flowers! I can't say I've ever had a successful garden/flower box, so I'm really hoping these are going to be successful. Thankfully my mom has a "Master Gardener" designation so she's really been able to help me out. You've heard that 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree,' right? Well, unfortunately it seems that's not true with green thumbs... I've killed my fair share of house plants. =/

Here are some before pictures of the area we've been working on:



What I like to call "weed jungle." The whole front was just river rocks, with weeds growing at a remarkable pace. If my flowers can grow as well as the weeds, we'll be in good shape!  We took out all the rocks, dug up the useless weed barrier, raked the soil, loosened it, and took out all the remaining rocks and weed roots we could before spraying with weed killer. Now we just have to wait a few weeks to add compost/fertilizer and plant the bulbs! Here's what it looks like now, ready to be beautified!



Phew! Who thought little rocks would cause such big trouble. Here's what I hope it looks like in the Spring...



I'll give you one guess as to what color our tulips will be! Pink!! Look for pictures in the Spring and let's hope it all turns out according to plan!

I hope to post about other projects I've been up to, including some great baking recipes (including another cake), my latest crochet project, and some cute hair accessories that are really easy to put together. I've also been thinking a lot lately about family, faith, and what it means to love, and I hope to post about those too. Plan to see you again within the week. Until then... =]

No comments:

Post a Comment