Sunday, September 11, 2011

Long Slow Beautiful Dance

I've been a long time fan of Rascal Flatts, & have already seen them in concert like 3 times. I had come across a Groupon for 2 tickets for $50, got really excited and presented the idea to Mike. Let's just say his excitement for Rascal Flatts is a little... lacking compared to mine. He calls them the "boy band of country music." So what if the lead singer wears white pants with a sparkly black stripe down the side?? So what if they sing mainly love songs? So what if 95% of their fans are girls?? Ok, ok, so maybe he's right. But still, I like them, so he agreed to go.

After waiting for months, finally the concert was last night. I knew I had to do something to bring Mike's excitement level up a little (as you could guess mine was running high already), so we went out to eat at Qdoba. That's a surefire way to make him happy. =) After dinner we headed to Fiddler's Green. Here are some pictures from our evening:


Justin Moore (very country! had the whole outfit & twang workin for him!)

Sara Evans (love her because she spells her name without an 'h'!

Here they are! Now why would you think they are boy band-ish??

Needless to say, I thought the whole show was awesome! Justin Moore wasn't my favorite, but he was the first opening band so luckily he didn't get in much time. =) Sara Evans sang all her well known songs and put on a great performance. Of course Rascal Flatts was awesome! I was singing along, dancing, clapping, etc. Having a great time in my own little world! I had an absolutely great night.

Me? Happy Wifey!!!

So I got to thinking. I know that this was something that Mike wouldn't have necessarily chosen to do, nor was it something he was incredibly excited about (or, excited at all, I should say). But you know what? He did it for me. He sacrificed a little of himself so that I could be happy. Isn't that what makes love beautiful? When you put aside what you want, what makes you happy, what you like, and give yourself up for the other?

This reminds me of Galatians 5:13, which says, "You have been called to live in freedom, my brothers & sisters. But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love." We all have the freedom to do or not do what we want. Mike didn't have to come with me. But he chose to. And you know what? In the end, he didn't think it was all that bad. He might have actually enjoyed himself a little. But you don't have to do anything sacrificial. You can just be selfish. Do what you want, think of yourself first, live your life the way that feels good to you. Fine. But tell me that at the end of your life that you feel satisfied.

Let's do a test this week. I dare you to find ways to serve those you love this week. It might be a spouse, a child, a friend, a boss, a leader, etc. Think of their needs, wants, and what would make them feel special. Then do it. Do it every day. Do it especially when you don't feel like it. Then tell me how you feel at the end of the week. Who knows, you might not think it's all that bad... You might actually enjoy yourself a little...

The giving of yourself to serve others is freedom. You are no longer trapped by your own selfishness. You are free to be a loving and giving individual, with no strings attached. And freedom is the only satisfying way to live. Thank you Michael for serving me and showing me so much love!

"But you weather a few storms, and pull out a few thorns. And together, the garden grows & grows."
~Rascal Flatts, "Long Slow Beautiful Dance"

No comments:

Post a Comment