Friday, September 16, 2011

Lies Women Believe...

I started this book today, called "Lies Women Believe" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I had read it back early on in college, but have had this feeling like I just want to read it again. Awhile back I found a copy at a used book store for like $7, and I've finally opened it!


I begin this book a little skeptical, remembering that when I read it in college there were some radical thoughts I wasn't sure I could believe. Also, Nancy Leigh DeMoss is a single woman, but in the book she writes about marriage, so again I begin a little skeptical.

But, today I read the introduction and I must say that at least so far she's captured my attention! She begins the Intro by suggesting that most women are living in bondage to something. Whether it's outright sin, or guilt, their past, worry, fear, depression, approval, to food, or exercise, something! If you had to describe your life right now, would you use one or more of the following words? Frazzled, exhausted, burned-out, overwhelmed, defeated, depressed, ashamed, emotionally unstable, confused, angry, frustrated, discouraged, uptight, insecure, lonely, fearful? If so, she suggests you might not be living in the freedom that God wants for us. "I [Jesus] came that you might have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10

Ok, yes, Nancy, maybe I am a basket case, ok?!?

But seriously, instead try these: free, gracious, loving, confident, content, stable, joyous, peaceful, radiant. Do these words describe the kind of woman you would like to become? Well let me think, would I rather be emotionally unstable or peaceful?? That's difficult! 

So, with my mind clear that I am not living in complete freedom, I am open to hear what she has to say next. I hope you would too. If anyone feels they are living in complete freedom, please call I'd love to know how you're doing it! So with the premise that we are all, on some level, living in bondage to something, she opens the main premise of her book: "You and I have been lied to. We have been deceived."  She ends the intro with this: "The journey you & I are about to take together may not be an easy one. it may be difficult-even painful- to identify and root out those areas of deception that have placed you in bondage. But I know a "Good Shepherd" who loves you dearly, who laid down His life for you, and who will take you by the hand and lead you into green pastures and by quiet waters, if only you will let Him."

Well, I must say that at the very least I am intrigued to continue and read more. More to come as I read the first chapter, "Truth... or Consequences"

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm. Then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." ~Galatians 5:1

No comments:

Post a Comment