Thursday, February 27, 2014

Rejoicing & Joy (Psalm 105:43)


In this Psalm, David is remembering all that God did for the Israelites as He brought them to the Promised Land. In the end, after years of hardship, slavery, oppression, sadness, despair, wandering in the wilderness, wondering if God was actually going to show up for them, "He brought out his people with rejoicing, his chosen ones with shouts of joy."  

God showed up when they probably didn't think He was going to.

We will all face low times in our lives as women. As moms. Seasons of sadness, grief, stress, exhaustion, frustration, need. I know single moms struggling to stay afloat. I know a mom whose baby had severe reflux and would only sleep for a few hours at a time. I know moms whose babies were in the hospital for weeks. I know a mom who lost her full term baby. I know women who have had miscarriages, some multiple. I know women who want babies but cannot have them. I know moms whose children are struggling in school. I know a mom who tried endlessly to raise enough money to bring her adoptive babies home. I know moms who are admirably trying to dig out of a debt hole. I know moms who are tired (ha!).

I look at my friends and I see such a variety of difficult seasons. It is amazing all you women have gone through.

Then I look forward a little. I see a mom whose baby is sleeping through the night. I see healthy babies come home from the hospital. I see the mom who thought she wouldn't have babies bring home twin girls. I see women with beautiful children who wouldn't be here if it weren't for that miscarriage. I see an adoptive girl brought to a forever home. I see the financial burden on a family lifted. I see God showing up everywhere.

In a perfect world, all our dark spots would turn to light in a matter of weeks or months. But sadly, this isn't a perfect world, and not all darkness is lifted in this life. Sometimes the difficult seasons don't end at all. But God is not limited by our time. He will bring you out. He promises to. He will bring you out, even if it is not in this life. 

There will be rejoicing and joy for those who belong to God, no matter what ugly circumstances they are in at the present moment.

David gives us the best advice we could ask for when we are facing these dark times in our lives. Earlier in this Psalm he says, "Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." God will bring you out. You will rejoice. You will be joyful again. In the meantime, look to the Lord. He is full of strength and light ready to pour over into your darkness. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment