Sunday, December 22, 2013

Favorite Books of 2013

I always have grand ideas of how much reading I'm going to do in a year. 30 books doesn't look so bad when you've got them stacked up, especially when you're thinking of an entire year, but the reality is that I don't have as much time for reading as I used to. I don't read 30 books a year anymore. And these days, I'm usually reading on the Kindle app on my phone while Isaac is napping. 

I did get through a few good ones this year, however. Each title is a link to the Kindle edition on Amazon if you're interested in checking it out! Here are my favorite books from 2013:

Nonfiction: 
7 by Jen Hatmaker- Will make you count your (many) blessings & make you evaluate your current lifestyle. My most favorite is the purse giveaway. :)
Radical by David Platt- Probably my best book of the year!
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney- A great guide for Christian women.
Passport Through Darkness by Kimberly L. Smith- Y'all. Read this book. It's about life in Darfur (Southern Sudan) for orphans and women. The stories will hurt, but you'll leave with a desire to pray harder and give more to those who haven't been as lucky as you.

Fiction:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn- Crass but very entertaining
Rebecca by Daphne DeMaurer- Loved the classic literature feel with a quick moving plot and memorable characters
Night Light, Dawn's Light, True Light, & Last Light by Terri Blackstock- Clearly I got hooked by book one, enough to read all 4 in the series.
Gods and Kings: Chronicles of the Kings, Book 1 by Lynn Austin- I love when authors take Biblical stories and make it into a work of fiction. I plan to read the rest of this series too!
Zorro by Isabel Allende- Fun, quick read even though it's quite long. And I loved the ending. Brownie points.
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers- One of my favorite historical fiction books of all time. I think this was my... 3rd time reading? 4th maybe? :)


Other books I read that were Eh:
Cold Fear by Rick Mofina- Definitely not my favorite book of the year, but I was entertained. Follows the story of a missing girl in the Montana mountains. I don't like when books are filled with characters you can't keep track of, and that was the case here. 
Let Them Eat Cake by Sandra Byrd- Kind of a silly, easy read. About a young, single girl working at a French Bakery in Seattle. Also part of a series but unless the rest are free I probably won't read.Bossypants by Tina Fay- Not all that funny.
The Vow by Kim & Krickitt Carpenter- Definitely different than the movie (surprise, surprise). It was ok but not very memorable.
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen- Ok I only got to 21% but I'm just not a classic literature girl! I feel like I should have loved it because I loooooove the movie & miniseries but I just couldn't get into it. I think it's because Isaac has stolen some of my brain.
North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell- I only got to 5% of this one. See above comment...

Sixteen books completed in 2013. Not too bad! I'm working on compiling my list for 2014 and would love to hear your suggestions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment