Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hermetical & Cloistered in the Mountains

What? Hermetical? Am I trying to sound smart? Well yes. But I'll admit I didn't know what that word meant until I visited thesaurus.com. It means unseen, or secret.  My other smart-sounding word, cloistered, means secluded from the world, or sheltered. Sometimes I like to sound smart. I just wish I didn't have to work so hard to do so...

Anyways, this post is not about my intelligence (or lack thereof, depending on how you look at it). But really is about being hermetical & cloistered. (Hehe, I'm not sure I could ever use these words in common conversation without giggling.)

Last weekend Michael & I, along with our friends Ben & Lauren, headed up the Poudre Canyon to a spot called Archer's Poudre Canyon Resort. While I'm impressing you with definitions, here's one for resort: a place to which people frequently or generally go for relaxation or pleasure, especially one providing rest and recreation facilities for vacationers. At first I wasn't sure this place would qualify as a resort per say. I mean, there were no celebrities or fireworks, shows or room service, but I will tell you it was most definitely relaxing & restful

I didn't realize how uptight technology can make you. Checking your phone for messages, watching facebook for notifications or comment-worthy status updates, having the TV on all the time, or computer open to email. All this has become, sadly, an everyday lifestyle for most of us. I just didn't realize how restricting technology really is until we were cloistered from it for a weekend (hey, I tried). 

The whole weekend, our cell phones didn't work, we didn't have a computer, we didn't watch pointless TV shows. We were stuck with each other, our dogs, games, books, & the beauty of creation. How amazing. I can't wait to do it again.

Here are some pictures!

From our living room looking into the 2 bedrooms. Bathroom is the door right above the fireplace.

Our kitchen/dining room. Haha, there was really 1 big room & 2 bedrooms. That's basically it. :-)
Grizzly enjoyed himself!

My handsome lumberjack of a husband roughing it. With Grizzly sprinting around in the background. :-)

We're in the middle of the river looking to the south. We're walking on water!

How far we came out into the river. It's solid, but was still a little nerve wracking walking out to the middle!

Michael took this gorgeous shot of the layers of ice & the part of the river that was running.

Wishing it were warm enough for a campfire!
An arch that I'm sure serves as a beautiful wedding location on warmer days!

This wasn't our cabin, but it looked similar to #8.  Nice and... cozy...
 My artsy husband then got the idea to try to find all the letters of our last name in photos. He is so creative & I think it turned out great! I want to print them & hang them somewhere in our home!





Oh how beautiful the Lord works in His creation, & how wonderful it is when we get away from man made distractions & just slow down, quiet down, & relax.

Come back next week for some exciting hermetical news! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment